I hopped off the scale.
I eased back on the scale.
Tears began to rise and my levees started to crack.
Three weeks after the launch of 30-DT and still no change. Two whole pounds disappeared during the first week of the challenge. I thought I could keep it up but my body grew weary. I underestimated the toll that working out 5 days a week would take on my body.
Tired.
I took a few days off, steering clear of the gym, occasionally doing a few workouts on my like-new yoga mat. This was the first time I'd pulled it out in 365 days. I hate yoga but it was on sale. ;)
I tried but some days I just couldn't find the motivation and gentle nudges from friends seemed to have a countereffect.
My sofa. My leather, plum, pillar of comfort welcomed me home every day, holding me hostage from the hostile world. Outside my window I hear the birds chirping on my abandoned patio. I wonder what it would be like to sit outside and bask in the sun's generosity. Working out 5 times a week suddenly diminished to two, sometimes three, good workouts.
Feeling better, lighter and toned, I continued to watch what rolled off my fingers and into my mouth. I often indulge in a smoothie a day or a handful on trail mix convinced that they are healthier choices, but when offered free food, I fail. Just last week I went toe-to-toe with Easter dinner and a long overdue mojito but the kryptonite was none other than a bowl of homemade banana pudding. How could I resist the one thing in the world that never failed to get me wet? I couldn't deny the mouth-watering, creamy vanilla pudding, fresh bananas and crisp vanilla wafers. I gave in. I lost control. My plan was to savor it and stretch it out over a few days but I could not rest knowing it was sitting in the next room. Within minutes, I devoured the entire bowl. Game Over.
No.
Wait!
I can't give up on myself now.

I'm learning that my physical health is more than just cardio and weights. It's almost about mental and emotional health but that's another post...
I still have 10 good days I can give this thing and that's better than giving up. As I stepped off the scale and depression rushed through my veins, the first thing I thought about was all the support I'd received from friends and followers. I felt like I'd let them down but then I reminded myself that I'm doing this for me and that's all the matters.
No comments:
Post a Comment